- 1 whole wheat or gluten-free pie crust
- 1¼ cup raw cashews, soaked 6-8 hours (or overnight) and drained
- 1 (16-ounce) can of unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 1 scoop Protein Superfood Rich Chocolate
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup non-dairy whipped cream*
- 1 teaspoon cacao powder, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Pre-bake the pie crust according to the manufacturer’s directions (if needed).
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, add all the remaining ingredients except the whipped cream and cacao powder. Blend until fully incorporated and very smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into the prepared pie shell, spreading into a flat layer.
- Bake for 45 minutes
- Remove the pie from the oven and let rest on a baking rack until entirely cool, about 2-3 hours.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, spread the whipped cream on top of the pie, dust with cacao powder, and cut into slices.
- *You can use a store-bought variety of non dairy whipped cream, or make your own. If opting for a homemade route, refrigerate 2 cans of full-fat coconut milk overnight. Then, scoop out the separated white solids of the milk into a mixing bowl. Whisk until smooth, adding a spoonful or two of the remaining coconut milk liquid if needed to thin. May be served as-is or lightly sweetened by whipping in a spoonful of maple syrup.
Introducing the best pumpkin pie recipe yet…chocolate protein-packed pumpkin pie recipe by Julie Morris.
“As a card-carrying member of the pumpkin pie fan club, the challenge is real: how can you create an even better pumpkin pie? For this, I have two words: Chocolate Protein. While I use Amazing Grass Protein Superfood powder almost daily in my smoothies, their Rich Chocolate flavor is too delicious to be destined solely to the blender. Adding it to pumpkin pie makes each bite turn into a hybrid of classic pumpkin and chocolate mousse – in other words, totally irresistible. Plus, the fact that suddenly you have a fully natural pie made without refined sugar, no difficult to digest dairy, and instead packed with an additional 20 grams of plant-based protein and 2 full servings of vegetables (thanks to our Amazing Grass addition which includes power-greens like wheatgrass and spirulina!) … and you seriously have one award-winning kind of dessert.
And, let’s not forget, all foodie-enjoyment aside, you still have one additional reward yet to savor. The next time someone asks you where you get your protein, you can look them straight in the eye and officially answer: PIE.”